||The Nottingham Collection ¦ The Derby Collection|
THE SHERWOOD FORESTERS
The Collection is housed within Nottingham Castle and displays the history of the Regiment from its earliest beginnings to the present day. An addition to the Gallery in 2003 was a Touch Screen which allowed access to a database and images of over 51000 Sherwood Foresters. Unfortunately it became a victim of its own success and became inoperable in October 2006. Further funds have now been raised from The Army Museums Ogilby Trust and The Trustees of the Museum to purchase a new custom built machine, which was installed in September 2008.
PRESENTATION OF MEMORIAL PLAQUE - 9 OCTOBER 2009
On 29 January 1819 the 45th (Nottinghamshire) Regiment sailed from Cork for foreign service and did not return to England until 24 March 1838 - an absence from home of 19 years and two months. During that period it served in Ceylon, Burma and India suffering a very large number of deaths among its members, mainly through disease. In November 1836 it marched out of its last long term station of Secunderabad, India prior to returning to England. At that time arrangements were made for a memorial to be erected to commemorate the 1494 men, women and children of the Regiment who had died between 1819 and 1836.
In 1881 the 45th Regiment amalgamated with the 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment to form the Sherwood Foresters. In March 1909 the 1st Battalion The Sherwood Foresters, the direct successor to the 45th, was also stationed in Secunderabad where it served until December 1912. Although history does not relate, it is surmised from later evidence that a decision was made to put up a memorial plaque again commemorating those of the 45th who had died previously. An order for its manufacture must have been placed with a firm in England for such a brass plaque was aboard the SS Oceana, along with £750,000 worth of gold and silver ingots, when she sailed from Tilbury on 15 March 1912 bound for Bombay. Unfortunately, in the early morning of 16 March she was in collision with the German barque Pisagua which was beating up the Channel. The Oceana sank with the loss of seven passengers and crew. The Pisagua was towed to Dover. Subsequently most of the gold and silver was salvaged. Evidently the 1st Battalion, having learned of the disaster, arranged for a replacement memorial tablet to be produced because the Regimental history records that on 17 November 1912 the Battalion paraded 'as strong as possible' for the unveiling of the tablet in St John's Church in Secunderabad.
DISCOVERY OF 45TH REGIMENT MEMORIAL
PLAQUE IN WRECKAGE OF SS OCEANA