The WFR Badge, click here for WFR home page

Worcestershire Regimental Collection

  WFR homepage

Battle Honours







Home | SF Collection | Worcs Collection | Archives ¦ Battle Honours  

WFR Museum




29th: 36th :Worcestershires: 1914-18 : 1919-39 : 1939-45 : 1945-70 :2nd Bn Mercian Regt

The Worcestershire Regiment

The Worcestershire Regiment was the county Regiment of Worcestershire and Herefordshire. It was amalgamated in 1970 with The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment) to form The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment. The history of the Worcestershires goes back over 300 years to 1694 when the 29th Regiment of Foot was formed and in 1701 the 36th Regiment of Foot came into being.

The 29th Regiment of Foot:

29th Regiment of Foot


In 1694, Britain was at war with France and William III, needing more troops ordered Colonel Thomas Farrington, an officer of the Coldstream guards to form a new Regiment. This Regiment became known as Farrington's Regiment of Foot following the custom of the period of naming Regiments after their Colonel. In 1751 (by which time the Regiment had changed its name eight times under successive Colonels) the system changed and all Regiments were given numbers based upon the date of their formation and the Regiment assumed the the title 29th Foot. The first few years of the Regiment's history were spent in England and Ireland, though with the War of the Spanish Succession developing in Europe it was not long before Farrington's regiment joined the Duke of Marlborough's force in Holland where it arrived in March 1704. However it was several months before the Regiment became actively engaged, namely at the lines of Brabant whren Marlborough's force met that of Marshal Villeroi in an inconclusive action. This was followed in 1706 by a decisive British Victory at the Battle of Ramilies in which the Regiment gained the first of its many Battle Honours.


During a period of over sixt years between1746 and 1807, the 29th Regiment of Foot spent much of its service in North America and two incidents in which they were involved during this time are particularly worthy of note:

"The Ever-Sworded 29th" One night in September 1746, the Officers of the Regiment were at Mess in their Station in North America when they were treacherously attacked by Red Indians, who were supposed to be loyal. The attack was beaten off, but to guard against similar attacks in future the custom of wearing swords in Mess was instituted. This continued as a regimental custom after the Regiment left America, but in 1850 the custom was changed so that only the Captain of the Week and the Orderly Officer of the Day continued to wear their swords at Mess. This unique custom was maintained by the Worcestershire Regiment.

"The Boston Massacre" In 1770 the 29th Foot were stationed in Boston at a time when the discontent and hatred felt by the American colonists towards the Mother country, England was extended to the British Troops station in the Colony. Boston was a particular centre of discord and on several occasions there had been free fights between the townsfolk and members of the Regiment. On 5th March, it being their turn for Garrison Duty, the 29th provided a guard for the customs house, where a certain amount of cash was kept. A mob of rioters tried to rush the post and the sentry called out the guard. The guard fixed bayonets and kept the crowd at bay, taking no more violent action, although being subjected to a barrage of abuse. However words led to blows and Captain Preston and Private Montgomery were struck down by one of the mob leaders. On regaining his feet Montgomery heard someone shout "Why don't you fire?" and thinking that this was an order to fire, he did so. Others followed him; three of the rioters were killed and several wounded, the rest of the mob running away. In memory of this incident which the Bostonians called the "Boston Massacre" the Regiment, being the first to shed the blood of the Colonists, was given the nickname 'The Blood Suckers' or 'The Vein Openers'. The incident led to the trial of Captain Preston, Private Montgomery and others of the Guard on murder charges, however, with the aid of John Adams (later to become the second President of the United States) as counsel for Captain Preston, they were totally exonerated by the judge and walked from the court free men.


In 1782 individual Regiments began to be linked territorially to counties and the 29th Regiment of Foot was linked to Worcestershire becoming the 29th (Worcestershire) Regiment of Foot.


In a decree of the French Convention of 1792, the Republic declared its intention to extend assistance to all dissident subjects of monarchist governments. This led eventually to War with Britain and her European allies resolving to contain the French ports and to attack her shipping. The most important French convoys came from the West Indies and these were protected by the French Navy. On 2nd May 1794 news of an important French convoy was received and the Channel Fleet under Lord Howe put to sea. Aboard several of the men-of-war were detachments of the 29th Foot which, like a number of other regiments provided drafts to make up for a shorfall of Marines. On the 1st of June the British Fleet came into action against the French. The four hundred-plus of the Regiment were distributed among several ships: Brunswick, Ramillies, Glory, Thunderer and Alfred. Brunswick with 81 men from the 29th on board was played into battle by the ship's band and a drummer from the 29th, with a popular tune of the day, "Heart of Oak". Brunswick met and came to close grips with Le Vengeur a French ship of equal size and armament and for over two hours they fought. During the fierce fighting, the 29th Detachment Comander, a Captain, was killed and the Ensign and 20 others were wounded. At one stage of the Battle, Achille came to the aid of Le Vengeur but was quickly disabled by a broadside from Brunswick. At last Brunswick and Le Vengeur drifted apart and the French ship, which was sinking, surrendered. The Battle was fought so far out into the Atlantic that it is known by its date - The Glorious First of June. For its share in the engagement, the Regiment was awarded the Naval Crown to be borne with its Battle Honours.


This important campaign, one of the most glorious in the annals of the British Army, was fought in support of the Portuguese and Spanish Allies whose territories had been violated. The 29th Foot was part of Sir Arthur Wellesley's (later to be created Duke of Wellington) Army - as was the 36th Foot, the first time that the two Regiments which were to become the Worcestershire Regiment were on active service together. The 29th embarked at Cadiz on July 1808 and claimed to be the first British unit to land in the Pennisula. It was commanded by the extrovert Lieutenant Colonel The Hon G A F Lake as they advanced towards Rolica. He rode into battle impeccably dressed as if, an observer noted, 'He was about to be received by the King'. Sadly though, it was to be the last time he was to lead his Regiment for he was shot by an enemy skirmisher. He was buried on the battlefield at a spot marked by a monument surmounted by a cross which is maintained by the Portuguese to this day. The musket ball which killed him and the gold medal which was awarded to him posthumously are on display in the Regimental Museum. The 29th saw fierce fighting during the day suffering 151 casualties, the highest figure in Wellesley's army. Four days later the Regiment fought at Vimeiro where the casualties were much lighter, only 14.

At Talavera the 29th again distinguished itself. The dominant feature was a hill about a mile distant from Talavera upon which Wellesley's left rested and as the Regiment was moving up to occupy it the French attacked. It was growing dark and in the half light they secured a foothold on the high ground. However the 29th rallied and charged up the slope at the double with bayonets fixed, cheering as they closed with the enemy and firing volleys at the same time, forcing the French to give way. During this battle the 29th captured two enemy colours although the Eagles which had been on top of them had been unscrewed and removed prior to their being taken, otherwise the honour of taking the first French Eagle would have fallen to them. They suffered 189 casualties in the days fighting. It was after this action that Wellesley wrote to the Viscount Castlereagh, the Secretary of State "My Lord...I wish very much that some measure could be adopted to get some recruits for the 29th Regiment. It is the best Regiment in this Army, has an admirable internal system and excellent non-commissioned officers...."

In 1811, at Albuhera, the Regiment was again to prove its mettle. As the Battle progreessed, casualties were heavy and in the centre stood the Colours, steadfastly carried by two Ensigns, Vance and Furnace. Both were boys of about eighteen and taking part in their first battle. As the ranks thinned, those that were left rallied on the Colours; which unfortunately formed a good aiming mark for the enemy. Two Colour Sergeants had been killed; Ensign Furnace was wounded. The remaining Colour Sergeant propped up his officer, who once more raised aloft the Colour. By now the Regiment had shrunk to a few small groups and the Colour Party itself was isolated. Ensign Vance fell, mortally hit and the last Colour Sergeant was killed. No help was in sight and in an effort to save the Regimental Colour from the French, young Vance ripped it from its pike and hid it, partly in his tunic and partly underneath his body. Ensign Furnace was dead and the King's Colour was his pall. Fresh troops came up; the French were repulsed and that night a search party found the Colours and their guardians. They were dead, but the Colours were saved.

On October 3rd 1811 the Duke of York issued orders for the 29th to return to England to recover and on November 2nd the Regiment embarked, under the command of Major Tucker, on HMS Agincourt, arriving at Portsmouth on December 1st.


The 29th was ordered to the Netherlands in April 1815 in order to take part in the Waterloo campaign. The Regiment landed at Ostend on June 13th but in spite of being rushed up by boat along the canal to Ghent, which was reached on June 15th, the Regiment arrived too late to take part in the battle itself.


The 29th played a distinguished part in the Wars against the Sikhs in the Sutlej and the Punjab between 1845 - 1850 gaining four Battle Honours; Sobraon, Ferozeshah, Chillianwallah and Goojerat as well as the Honour Punjaub. The Battle of Goojerat was the last occasion upon which the Colours of the Regiment were carried into action.

Top of Page

The 36th Regiment of Foot:

36th Regiment of Foot


At the outbreak of the War of the Spanish Succession in 1701 King William III ordered Viscount Charlemont to form a new Regiment in Ireland. The following year Charlemont's Regiment was picked to become one of six infantry regiments designated for Sea Service, which meant that it could be called upon to act in a Marine role should the occassion warrant it. This order came into effect and the Regiment under their Colonel, Lord Charlemeont, left for Spain on board His Majesty's Ships Grey, Ruth and Friendship. However this was to a short lived affair and it was to be a further three years before the Regiment again returned to Spain, this time under the leadership of the enigmatic Earl of Peterborough. During the capture of the Fortress of Montjuich, which in turn led to the successful conclusion to the siege of Barcelona, the Regiment fought admirably and Lord Charlemont was subsequently presented to the King of Spain who thanked him warmly for his part in the success. However at a later stage in the campaign, disaster struck the Regiment when at the Battle of Almanza Peterborough's erratic leadership led to Charlemont's Regiment being virtually annihilated.


In 1746 the 36th Regiment played a small part in the Battle of Culloden before embarking upon a campaign in Flanders.


The Regiment acquitted itself well in an expedition that was generally unsuccessful. It is possible that the origin of the Regimental Motto 'FIRM' may stem from this campaign, for it is thought that the 36th, by dint of their steadfast performance during the rearguard action at Lauffeld, may have had this motto conferred upon them by Field Marshal Lord Stair whose own family motto it was.


In 1782 individual Regiments began to be linked territorially to counties and the 36th Regiment of Foot was linked to Herefordshire becoming the 36th (Herefordshire) Regiment of Foot.


Between 1783 and 1793 the Regiment served in India as part of the force that was sent to oppose the ambitious Tippoo Singh. However, due to the vast forces confronting them this proved to be no easy affair. Nevertheless, after major successes at Nundydoorg and Pondicherry, Tippoo Sing was eventually brought to heel and later king William IV authorised the 36th to bear the word "Hindoostan" on its Colours.


In 1808 the 36th landed in Portugal with the expeditionary force under Sir Arthur Wellesley and took part in the Battles of Rolica and Vimiera. The Regiment's gallantry at Vimiera was particularly noticed by Lieutenant General Sir Arthur Wellesley, who wrote in a letter Castlereagh, that "the Thirty Sixth Regiment is an example to the Army". After participating in the retreat to Corrunna, under Sir John Moore in 1808/1809, the Regiment returned to England. However, in 1811 the Regiment returned to the Peninsula and there remained under The Duke of Wellington's command until the fall of Toulouse in 1814, amassing ten Battle Honours during the course of the campaign.

Top of Page


The Worcestershire Regiment

1881 - 1914

The Cardwell reforms of 1881 brought together the 29th and 36th Regiments of Foot with the Militia of Worcestershire plus the Volunteer Regiments. The Regiment now consisted of: 1st Battalion (29th), 2nd Battalion (36th) The Worcestershire Regiment; 3rd (Militia) Battalion (late 1st Battalion Worcestershire Militia) and 4th (Militia) Battalion (late 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Militia) The Worcestershire Regiment and the volunteer Battalions became known as the 1st and 2nd (Volunteer) Battalions The Worcestershire Regiment.


The outbreak of the Boer War found both regular battalions being sent to South Africa in early 1900 where they soon found themselves embroiled with the enemy. Of the two, the 2nd Battalion undoubtedly saw more of the formal engagements and at Slingersfontein acquitted temselves well in a battle in which they suffered quite heavy casualties, including the CO who was killed.

WORLD WAR 1 1914 - 1918

When the War broke out there were four Regular Battalions, two Militia and two Territorial Battalions forming the Regiment and from these eight Battalions the Regiment expanded to 22. Throughout its bloody course, the War claimed lives of over 9,000 of the 13,000 officers and men who filled its ranks.

Most of the actions in which the majority of the battalions took part were across the muddy, pock-marked battlefields of France and Flanders. However, some battalions were also engaged in the fighting in the Dardanelles, Salonika, Mesopotamia, Russia and Italy. In all, nine Victoria Crosses were awarded to members of the Regiment. They are:

Lieutenant E P Bennett VC MC

During the 1916 Battle of the Somme, the 2nd Battalion, whilst attacking a strong German position, lost nearly all its Officers and Senior Non-Commissioned Officers. Lieutenant Bennett realising that they would be wiped out if they did not start again, rushed forward despite being wounded, to the front of the Battalion which followed him in a successful attack on the enemy trenches; for this he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Private F G Dancox VC

During the Battle of Ypres in 1917, Private Dancox, a native of Worcester, by himself took on an enemy blockhouse which was stopping the advance of the 4th Battalion with its withering fire. He did so by working his way from shell hole to shell hole to the rear of the German machine gunners, who surrendered under the threat of his grenade. Dancox was killed shortly afterwards but was awarded the Victoria Cross for this action.

Captain J J Crowe VC

During the Lys Battle of 1918, part of the 2nd Battalion became surrounded in the town of Neuve Eglise and all attempts to get word for reinforcements had failed. Captain Crowe, the Adjutant, with ten men made a further sortie and captured two enemy machine gun posts before re-establishing communications and covering the successful withdrawal of this outpost. for his actions on this day, Captain Crowe was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Colonel G W St G Grogan VC CMG DSO

Colonel Grogan, while commanding a hastily assembled group from various regiments during the Battle of the Aisne in 1918 found his force under extreme pressure and slowly being pushed back. Realising that he would receive no reinforcements for another day he rode his horse up and down the line in full view of the enemy, thereby inspiring his troops to hang on until help arrived. Colonel Grogan was awarded the Victoria Cross for this inspiring leadership and bravery. (He was subsequently promoted Brigadier General and later became the Colonel of The Worcestershire Regiment).

Lieutenant H James VC

During the Gallipoli Campaign in 1915, Lieutenant James of the 4th Battalion, led a raiding party of 30 men on the Turkish trenches. The Turks were forced back to their main lines, where in the subsequent fight he lost all but Lance Corporal Reece who was sent for help. Lieutenant James then worked his way backwards along a trench, keeping the Turks at bay with grenades until finally making a stand where a wounded soldier lay until reinforcements arrived. for this action and earlier bravery in another incident Lieutenant James was awarded the Victoria Cross; the first member of the Regiment to be so honoured.

Lieutenant W Leefe Robinson VC

Few incidents in the 1914 - 1918 War created a greater sensation thanthe destruction of German Zeppelin L21 by Lieutenant Leefe Robinson of The Worcestershire Regiment, attached to The Royal Flying Corps. for months the Zeppelins had been raiding London and other cities with impunity, then on the night of 2nd/3rd September 1916, Lieutenant Leefe Robinson dispelled the myth of their invincibility by attacking with his aircraft's gun and sending the L21 crashing to the ground in a ball of flame; for this he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Lieutenant E K Myles VC

In Mesopotamia in 1916, the 9th Battalion was fiercely counter-attacked by the Turks during the Second Battle of Sannaiyat. With their ammunition almost spent, they were forced to fall back and dig themselves rough fox holes. Many of the wounded were in terrible distress and Lieutenant Myles, with utter fearlessness dashed out again and again to bring them in, despite the intense fire and the fact that he himself had been hit; for this he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Major F C Roberts VC DSO MC

On 23rd March 1918, the 1st Battalion, temporarily commanded by Major Roberts were holding a very extended river line at Pargny on the Somme. during the night Major Roberts found that the Germans had crossed the river and taken the village and also that the Battalion on the right had withdrawn - the Brigade was in dager of being surrounded. Immediately he gathered 45 men from the Battalion Headquarters and led this ad hoc group in a spirited counter-attack which forced the enemy back across the river. For this and other conspicious service while in command, Major Roberts was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Private T G Turrall VC

On 3rd July 1916 at La Boiselle in France, a patrol from the 10th Battalion suffered heavy losses from a German machine gun. The only survivors were the patrol commander, Lieutenant Jennings who was badlty wounded and Private Turrall. After applying first aid, Private Turrall carried Lieutenant Jennings back to the Battalion Lines, at one stage feigning death as a German patrol prodded him with their bayonets. Lieutenant Jennings died two hours after reaching safety, but not before he had time to dictate an account of Turrall's actions; as a result Private Turrall was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Six of these VC's are on display in the Museum. In addition the Regiment won 82 Distinguished Service Orders, 327 Military Crosses, 238 Distinguished Conduct Medals and over 800 Military Medalds.

Top of Page


31st October 1914. The Germans invaded France and at the first shock came near to defeating the combined French and British Armies. Their objective was the Channel Ports, from which an attack on England could have been launched. The British Army stood to fight at Ypres.

After 10 days hard fighting, the 2nd Battalion, 500 strong was the only reserve for the Gheluvelt sector. The Battalion was then resting in Polygon Wood. The line at Gheluvelt, attacked by overwhelming numbers, gave way and the enemy took the Chateau and village. The situation was very serious and preparations for a general retirement were made; unless the gap was closed, the Army would be lost, so more or less as a forlorn hope the Battalion was ordered to counter-attack. 'A' Company advanced to a railway embankment overlooking the village to prevent the enemy advancing up the Menin road. Meanwhile with lightened kit and extra ammunition the rest of the Battalion made ready for the attack. The village was hidden by a ridge and their aiming mark was the Chateau. as they advance, signs of retreat were everywhere; they alone went forward. The crest of the ridge was covered by the enemy guns and could be crossed only by a quick rush. Though over a hundred fell to the storm of shelling which met their advance, the rest dashed down the slope, forced their way through the hedges and fences and into the Chateau grounds, where they closed weith the Germans. Surprised by the impetuous speed of the attack, the enemy though far superior in numbers, gave way and the attackers linked up with the remnants of the South Wales Borderers, who were still holding out.

As a result of the capture of Ghelevult against terrific odds and the consequent closing of the gap in the British Line, Ypres was held and the Channel Ports were saved. In his despatch describing this action the Commander in Chief, Sir John French said "The rally of the 1st division and the capture of the village of Gheluvelt at such a time was fraught with momentous consequences. If any one Unit can be singled out for special praise, it is the Worcestershires".


12th March 1915. In March 1915 the British Army attacked the Germans at Neuve Chapelle. After two days of fighting, although the village had been captured the attack was still a partial failure; for the Germans had repaired the gap in their line and were preparing to re-take the village by counter-attack. Two Bavarian Battalions advanced against the front held by the 1st Battalion, who held their fire. When the enemy was within 70 yards the whole Battalion fired their 'mad minute' (at the rapid rate of fire of 20 rounds per rifleman per minute) and the Germans fell in large numbers. 'A' Company cleared the enemy from the abandoned trenches on the right, while the rest of the Battalion drove them back into their own lines and took part of the enemy trenches. Unfortunately this advance was unsupported and the Battalion was isolated and nearly surrounded. Although several attacks were beaten off, they were forced to withdraw across the open ground and met with heavy loss. On the following morning the Battalion was withdrawn into reserve, however, the situation had been saved by the defeat of the counter-attack and the ground previously won was held.

Top of Page

BETWEEN THE WARS 1919 - 1939

As peace returned to the World, one after another the fighting Battalions of the Regiment were disbanded or reduced to Cadre and the soldiers who had gained the final victory came back in small parties to England. However, at the same time the political situation in Ireland was deteriorating and both the 2nd and 3rd Battalions were sent to Dublin in 1919 to help control the outbreak of violence. The temporary ending of the Irish troublesl in 1921 provided the opportunity of reducing the country's military forces and orders were received for all Regiments with four Regular Battalions to disband their 3rd and 4th Battalions. This was a decision which was greeted with great sorrow in the Regiment for along with the Royal Fusiliers, The Middlesex, the 60th Rifles and Rifle Brigade were the only Regiments in the Army to have four Regular Battalions. Between the Wars the 1st Battalion, apart from a period of active operations during the troubles in Palestine, divided its time between India, China and England in a relaxed peacetime way; with, in India, the usual diversions of polo and game shooting for the officers and from 1930 the 2nd Battalion enjoyed spells of duty in Malta, China and India.

Top of Page

WORLD WAR 2 1939 - 1945

When the War was imminent the 1st Battalion was in Palestine and its war service was, therefore, destined initially to be in the middle East. Likewise the 2nd Battalion, who were in India in 1939 were destined to remain there until called to take part in the Burma Campaign. It was in fact the two Territorial Battalions, the 7th and 8th who first saw active service. both went to France in 1940 and both were in the Dunkirk tragedy.


The first Regular Battalion to join battle with the enemy was the 1st Battalion. They moved from Palestine, via Egypt to the Sudan and following the entry of Italy into the War, formed part of the British force which attacked the Italian Colony of Eritrea in 1941. The first Italian resistance came at El Gocni from which, after stiff fighting the enemy was ejected. Barentu was likewise successful and essentially a company battle in which 'A' Company played a prominent part. Ahead lay the fortress of Keren whose steep rocky approaches added to the stiff Italian resistance, however, this was also captured although the battalion suffered heavy losses.


At the end of August 1941 the 1st Battalion moved to the Western Desert, where in the summer of 1942 they took part in the Gazala Battle and in the defence of Tobruk. The Gazala line stretched from Gazala on the coast some fifty miles south to Bir Hachim. It consisted of a series of isolated infantry localities, wired and mined, which were called "Boxes" and between which were large gaps that could neither be held by artillery fire nor plugged by tanks. One such locality was Point 187 near Acroma, midway between Gazala and Tobruk, where the Battalion stood to meet the German onslaught. By 13th June 1942 the Germans had penetrated the surrounding defences and the Battalion Box became isolated. Enemy tanks attacked relentlessly and although some twenty of them were knocked out, all of the Battalions anti-tank guns had become casualties. Throughout the day the Battalion stayed true to its Motto of "FIRM" and as evening fell and with the desert a blazing inferno, orders were received for the Box to be evacuated.

At Tobruk the German attack, which was launched on 20th June 1942 was heralded by a fierce air bombardment after which came well co-ordinated artillery fire from both the Germans and Italians. This in turn led to a massive Panzer attack against which resistance was virtually impossible. Any attempt to break out to the coast was forestalled by the enemy who were too thick on the ground. A general surrender was ordered - unlike at Corunna and Dunkirk where the soldiers of the Regiment had withdrawn to safety; at Tobruk few escaped being made Prisoners of War.


On 1st January 1943 the 1st Battalion was reformed by disbanding the 11th Battalion, a Service Battalion formed in May 1940 and drafting its personnel to the 1st Battalion. Soon after D Day in 1944 the Battalion arrived in France and their first action, which resulted in the capture of Mouen, was described by the Divisional Commander as "one of the slickest attacks of the war". After the break out came the spectacular drive to the Seine - over one hundred miles in three and a half days. This was followed by some intense fighting in which every man in the Battalion - drivers, clerks, orderlies and signallers fought like demons. The fierce fighting gave cover to the armoured drive to Belgium and Holland. After a spell of comparative quiet the Battalion once more went into battle, to try and relieve the gallant men of Arnhem. The battle to keep the corridor open was some of the fiercest the Battalion had experienced and in the fighting round the Nederijn three of its Company Commanders were killed. From then on it was only a matter of time before victory in Europe was assured and when it came the Battalion had reached an area North of Luneberg, thus ending the advance from Normandy to the Elbe.


Two Battalions of the Regiment fought in South East Asia Command, the 2nd and the 7th. Throughout it was a tale of fight and advance - never once was either Battalion forced back. One action among many is memorable; it was at Merema, near Kohima when the 7th Battalion evicted in 36 hours a Japanese force that had been ordered to hold on for ten days. In the last two months of 1944 the two Worcestershire Battalions advanced on the enemy, taking different directions. Leaving behind 350 miles of soil and dust once trodden by the Japanese the 7th Battalion reached and crossed the Chindwin at Kalewa. Plumes of dust marked their progress across the sandy plain of Central Burma as they moved towards Shwebo. Once there, the grateful inhabitants presented the Battalion with a lacquered bowl, now to be seen in the Regimental Museum. Meanwhile the 2nd Battalion had completed one of the greatest of the Burma Campaign's forced marches, covering 400 miles in six weeks; arriving at Shwebo just after the 7th Battalion, who were there waiting for them with a meal laid out in the open on tables covered with parachutes as table cloths. There then remained the Battle for Mandalay; the 7th Battalion moved towards the city from the South West but it was to be the 2nd Battalion that fought the battle and who carried out the follow up.

Top of Page

THE POST WAR YEARS 1945 - 1970

Since the Second World War the changing role of the Army resulted in drastic reductions; the first major change to be felt in the Regiment being the disbandment in 1947 of the 2nd Battalion. Then in 1967 with the reduction in Territorial forces the 7th Battalion was reduced to one company, which became part of the Mercian Volunteers.

During the Post War years the Regiment continued in its usual down to earth way. Not least during the Malayan Emergency in the early 1950s, when it established a fine reputation through its operational successes. A campaign in which the George Cross was awarded to Awang Anak Rawang, a tracker attached to the 1st Battalion.

On 28th February 1970 at Battlesbury Barracks Warminster in Wiltshire the 1st Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment amalgamated with 1st Battalion The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment) to form 1st Battalion The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment (29th/45th Foot)

Top of Page

The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment

On 16 December 2004 the Secretary of State for Defence announced, under the Future Army Structure, that the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment (29/45 Foot) would become the 2nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment (Worcesters and Foresters) along with the 1st Battalion (Cheshires) and the 3rd Battalion (Staffords).

History repeats itself, but we look forward to writing a new chapter in the Regimental History of the soldiers of Worcestershire.
































| |Top of page | Home | SF Collection| Worcs Collection |